Often overlooked, the humble potato is ready to take centre stage as Kent grower Provenance Potatoes launches a new family size pack, available from farm shops and independent retailers across Kent and the South of the UK. The new pack size is perfect for family meals, with the added bonus that the potatoes are locally grown and support British farmers.
Provenance Potatoes are looking to shine a light on the most healthy, adaptable, and affordable food in our shopping bags. Low in fat but high in vitamin C, potassium and fibre, potatoes can make for a healthier choice, especially when cooked with the skin. Frequently an afterthought or a side dish to a meal, why not make potatoes the star of the recipe?
For a comforting supper this autumn, this recipe for a Healthy Potato Dauphinoise with Turmeric puts the modest potato centre stage.
- 300g smooth potatoes (such as Desiree), washed and thinly sliced into pieces no thicker than 5mm (then placed in a bowl of cold water to prevent them from browning)
- 200g cauliflower, trimmed into florets and sliced into pieces slightly thicker than potato
- 150 ml milk (whole or semi skimmed)
- 100ml half fat (full fat) crème fraiche
- 1tsp groundnut oil (or another flavourless oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tsp ground turmeric
- 1tsp coriander seeds, lightly crushed with a pestle and mortar
- 1tsp cumin seeds, lightly crushed with a pestle and mortar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch chilli flakes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan. Take a small ovenproof dish and brush the inside with oil.
- Put the milk, creme fraiche, coriander, cumin, bay leaf, garlic and ground turmeric in a saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Bring just to the boil, then add the drained potato, followed by the cauliflower (including all the little bits that have come loose – note that the cauliflower will just break the surface, this is fine) and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender.
- Transfer everything into the prepared dish, holding back half of the liquid (you want to be able to clearly see the potato and cauliflower). Top with salt, black pepper and chilli flakes and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
All Provenance Potatoes are washed, graded and packed using only the finest potatoes from the heart of Kent. The company works closely alongside farmers in the region and, as the name suggests, they know the exact provenance of every single potato grown from the field where it was harvested to the seed it originated from.
Both red and white potatoes will be offered in the new 2kg bags and available from independent retailers across the South. In the red bag shoppers can find the classic Desiree red potato, a smooth textured potato perfect for mash, roasted, wedges, rosti or gnocchi. In the white bag will be Marfona, Melody and Tyson, these great all-rounders will make the perfect baked potato, boiled, mashed or gratin.
For more information about Provenance Potatoes please visit
For more inspiration and recipes please visit